Jacksonville City Court    
Uniform Patrol
Crime Alert
Fallen Hero's
Crime Prevention
The Drink Wheel
Drug Task Force
Sex Offenders

Contact Information -

Jacksonville Municipal Court

310 Church Ave SE

Jacksonville, AL 36265

(256) 435-6960 (Note - The Magistrate will not answer the phone while court is in session)


Court Personnel -

Joseph M. Maloney - Judge

Christopher McIntyre - Prosecutor

William J. Miller - Public Defender

Angela M. Crane  - Court Magistrate

Joan B. Young - Court Magistrate 

Municipal Court -

The Jacksonville Municipal Court processes all traffic and misdemeanor cases generated by the Jacksonville Police Department and the Jacksonville State University Police Department. Parking tickets issued by the Jacksonville City Police Department are processed through the court office. We are located in the City Hall Complex, with the courtroom at 300 Church Avenue SE and the court clerk's office next door at 310 Church Avenue SE.

Office hours are 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. (Except holidays)

Method of Payment - 

1_credit-cards.jpg image by kamckinley

Until further notice, the Jacksonville Municipal Court will only take cash or money orders, NO CHECKS! We are hoping in the future to take debit and/or credit cards but until then cash or money orders only will be accepted.


New payment method coming soon!


Coming Soon Banner




Court Sessions -

If you are scheduled to appear in court, you must do so on the date and time assigned. Failure to do so will result in further court action. Please contact the court office at 256-435-6960 if you do not know which court date you are scheduled to appear.

We conduct four court sessions per month: New-02-june.gif (24561 bytes)

  • 1st Tuesday - Cases made by officers from the 1st to the 15th of each month. Traffic cases will be set for 5:30pm. Misdemeanor cases, including DUI and their companion cases will be set for 6:30pm.
  • 2nd Tuesday - cases made by officers from 16th to the 31st of each month. Traffic cases will be set for 5:30pm. Misdemeanor cases, including DUI and their companion cases will be set for 6:30pm.
  • 3rd Tuesday - Warrants (victims - not officers) issued by the Court will be set for 5:30pm.
  • 4th Tuesday - Trial Court for officers not settled on the 1st and 2nd Tuesday Preliminary Court Dates.

If the scheduled court date falls on a holiday it will be held the following day at the regular time.

Click on calendar for court schedule!

Criminal Cases -

The Jacksonville Municipal Court handles misdemeanor criminal cases and city ordinance violations that occur within the city limits. If you have been arrested for a non-traffic offense, you must appear in court on your court date.

If you have an outstanding warrant, you must turn yourself in on the warrant and post the appropriate bond. If you have any questions concerning a warrant, you may contact the Jacksonville Municipal Court office at (256) 435-6960 or the Jacksonville Police Department at (256) 435-6448.

The court office cannot provide legal advice. If you have a question concerning a legal aspect of your case, you must contact an attorney.




Traffic Tickets -

If you do not want to plead guilty to the citation, you must appear on your court date to enter a plea before the judge. A trial will follow.

There are basically two kinds of Alabama traffic citations as described below:

"Court Appearance Not Required" Citations -

If you have a "court appearance not required" citation and would like to take care of it without appearing in court, you may do so by appearing in-person at the court office and entering a plea of guilt to the traffic offense. At that time you will pay for the citation. The amount due will be the TOTAL, (fine + costs). (see fine schedule).

You may also remit your plea and payment by mail. We must receive such plea and payment within our Municipal Court office on or before your prescribed court date - postmark dates WILL NOT be honored as meeting the deadline! You may mail your plea and payment to:

Jacksonville Municipal Court

310 Church Ave SE

Jacksonville, AL 36265

(256) 435-6960


"Court Appearance Required" Citations -

If your citation requires a court appearance, you must appear in court on the court date listed on the citation. You will appear before the municipal judge and enter a plea on the charge. If you plead guilty, the judge will determine your fine amount and you will be able to pay the fine and cost at that time. If you plead not guilty, you will have a trial.

If you plead guilty or are found guilty you will be required to pay the fines and court costs that night. However, if you are not able to pay the fines and court costs, you may ask the judge for an extension or payment plan. This will be on a case by case basis and in no way is this a guarantee that he will grant an extension. Be prepared to pay the fines and court costs that night!

If you do not know whether or not your citation requires a court appearance, you may contact the municipal court or you may check the fine schedule. If you do not see your citation listed on the fine schedule, please contact the court office at (256) 435-6960.

These fine schedules are what the magistrate is allowed to accept prior to court beginning. The judge may increase or decrease the fine amount at his discretion once court begins.

- Fine Schedule -

- Frequently Asked Questions -

Frequently asked questions about traffic citations -

Q - I was given a ticket for Expired/Improper Tag. I have since renewed the tag. Can I just bring in verification and have my ticket dismissed?

A - NO, by law your tag must be properly displayed at all times. If you would like to talk to the judge about it, you must appear in court on your court date.

Q - I do not wish to enter a plea on my ticket. Can I just pay it?

A - NO, by Alabama law, you must enter a plea of guilty or not guilty on your ticket. Magistrates can only accept payment if it is accompanied by a plea of guilty. If you wish to enter a not guilty plea, you MUST appear in court.

Q - Can my spouse/parent/friend pay my ticket for me?

A - If your spouse/parent/friend has your copy of the ticket with your signature on the back of the ticket (under defendant's signature) and it is a "no-court-appearance-required" ticket, then we will accept payment. However, if any court action has been taken on your case (i.e. a FTA warrant), then you will have to take care of it yourself.

Q - I plan to mail my ticket along with a payment. Does it need to be received by the Court by the court date?

A - YES! Our office does not go by postmarked dates! If you are unsure as to whether or not your payment will get to our office by your court date, your best bet is to pay it in-person at the Municipal Court office.

Q - I received a ticket for an equipment violation. What do I need to do to have this ticket dismissed?

A - You must have your vehicle repaired and inspected by a police officer within 72 hours. After the police officer inspects your car, the officer will sign the back of the ticket. You must then turn in the ticket to the Municipal Court office. Your ticket will then be reviewed by the judge and dismissed.

Q - I don't see my charge listed on the fine schedule. Does this mean I need to appear in court?

A - YES! You may call the court office at (256) 435-6960 for more details.

Q - I paid for a ticket but the department of public safety says that my license is still suspended. What do I need to do to take care of this?

A - If your license is suspended because of non-payment of a traffic citation, you must first pay the fine and associated costs of the citation. After the ticket has been paid, our office will issue a clearance to the Department of Public Safety (DPS). At this point, you may contact DPS and request that your license be reinstated. DPS will then tell you the requirements that you must fulfill in order to get your license reinstated. DPS will not reinstate your license based on receiving clearance from our office.

Q - I have a citation that I received in another city, can I pay it at Jacksonville?

A - NO! You can only pay citations issued by Jacksonville Police or Jacksonville State University Police Officers. The City of Jacksonville does not have jurisdiction over other city's/counties traffic citations.

Frequently asked questions about court -  

Q - I was notified that there is a warrant for my arrest. What do I need to do to take care of this?

A - In order to take care of an outstanding warrant, you must turn yourself in to the Jacksonville Police Department. After the warrant has been processed, you will be given an opportunity to post a bond and you will be given a court date, (with the exception of failure to pay warrant). You may contact the Jacksonville Municipal Court office at (256) 435-6960 to receive specific information pertaining to your case.

Q - What type of bond may I use?

A - Every warrant has a specific bond amount attached to it. As long as it is not a "Failure To Appear" charge, you may use a bonding company, property bond, or cash. If a "Failure To Appear" warrant has been issued for your arrest, you MUST use cash.

Q - I wish to just plead guilty and pay my fine. Will the court allow me to do that?

A - In certain cases (i.e. minor traffic citations, etc.) the court will allow you to enter a plea before a magistrate and pay your fines and court costs. Please contact the Municipal Court Office at (256) 435-6960 for additional information.

Q - After I go to court, will the judge give me additional time to pay?

A - Payment for fines and court costs is expected at the time you appear in court. However, you may ask the judge for additional time to pay at the time of court.

Q - How many years will a charge stay on my record?

A - If you are charged and convicted of a criminal offense, it will always stay on your record.

Q - How do I get a court-appointed attorney?

A - You can apply for a court-appointed attorney when you appear in court. The judge will review your application to determine if you are eligible. Eligibility is based on financial need.